CSU OPC 2013 PHD Discussion Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virtual Learning

Go down

Virtual Learning Empty Virtual Learning

Post  JerryZ Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:01 am

Here is a quote that might interest many of you, plus help you to better understand my passion for developing my dissertation around the topic of using virtual environments to enhance learning.

"Although the data are hard to aggregate on a consistent basis, Figure 4.2 gives our best sense for the pace of substitution of online-delivered learning for live-teacher instruction. From 45,000 enrollments in fully online or blended-online courses in the fall of 2000, that number had grown nearly 22 times to 1 million by the fall of 2007. Roughly 70 percent of these were for high school students. A significant 43 percent of rural schools already provide students with access to online courses that would not otherwise be available. Even with this rapid growth, however, online courses accounted for just 1 percent of all courses in 2007. Not much change is on the horizon if one projects linearly into the future. But when viewed from the logarithmic perspective, the data suggest that by 2019, about 50 percent of high school courses will be delivered online. In other words, within a few years, after a long period of incubation, the world is likely to begin flipping rapidly to student-centeric online technology.

This substitution is happening because of the technological and economic advantages of online learning, compared to the monolithic school model." (Christensen, 2011, 99-100)

For my dissertation, I intend to compare learning outcomes associated with a scenario planning course taught in a face-to-face classroom environment to the same course taught in a virtual environment such as Teleplace.

Included in my exploration of the virtual world topic is a hard look at gaming and what it means within the context of education (any level of education). I also invite you to take a look at Jane McGonigal's video on TED.com (http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html) related to gaming; it is an excellent use of 20 minutes. She just released a book titled Reality Is Broken : Why games make us better and how they can change the world.

Reference

Christensen, C. M. (2011). Disrupting class : How disruptive innovation will change the way the world learns. New York: McGraw Hill.

JerryZ

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum