CSU OPC 2013 PHD Discussion Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissertation Structure Discussion

Go down

Should be have meetings once a week or every other week

Dissertation Structure Discussion I_vote_lcap0%Dissertation Structure Discussion I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Dissertation Structure Discussion I_vote_lcap0%Dissertation Structure Discussion I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 0

Poll closed

Dissertation Structure Discussion Empty Dissertation Structure Discussion

Post  Joel-Administrator Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:31 am

Meeting Structure: (This is open to discussion. I've copied this verbatim from the book.)

1. Get at least five students with different backgrounds in your field. Members should be of about the same academic caliber so they all field are getting as much as they are giving.
2. Meet once a week and give all members a copy of everybody's dissertation at the first session. It may be that some groups might best meet infrequently–say once a month–to accommodate members jobs and family obligations.
3. Feature to members research per meeting, about 45 min. each.
4. Provide each member and abstract of what will be discussed, at least three days before meeting.
5. Keep criticism constructive, with suggestions for improvement. The key to your support group success is for everyone to know how to make supportive criticisms.
6. Agreed to spend three hours each week (one to read and critique; two to meet). Be clear about what activities you expect troop members to carry out and how much time you expect members to devote to the group. Well students read each other's chapter drafts and make comments? What kind of comments (conceptual, organizational, editorial, etc.) will they be expected to make?
7. Have each member tape-record the session focusing on his or her dissertation.
8. In each meeting with 15 min. for members to report progress and mention specific problems.
9. Restrict discussions to dissertation matters only.
10. If you have less than four students, postpone the meeting. Otherwise, presenting students won't get a variety of viewpoints.
11. Get written agreement for confidentiality at the first session, so everyone can speak openly, even about faculty and other students.
12. Knowledge dissertation victories. Celebrate accomplishments such as getting the dissertation approved and passing the defense.

Critical decisions:
1. Should group have a formal leader, rotate leadership, or be leaderless?
2. What are the group's goals? What does each person want from the group? (Primarily academic–focused on critiquing written drafts are discussing methodology? Primarily support–focused on providing social and emotional support for personal problems?)
3. How many members should there be? Need they be at the same stage in the dissertation process?
4. How often and for how long should the group meet? Where?
5. What norms should be established? What will happen if someone consistently violates the norms (chronically late, fail to bring a promise draft, etc.)?

“Other successful strategy students use at my university or contingency enforcement and timeline monitoring. Contingency enforcement means that when a group member fails to accomplish the stated dissertation goal or task or meet a specific deadline, or misses a meeting, the group and forces that person's contingency plan. The plan might be as simple as buying lottery tickets for all, paying for everyone's meal, or even sending a check to an organization despised by the “errant” student. They are also good at Lane on guilt trips and threatening public disgrace–all in good fun!

The support groups bond students in significant and touching ways. They frequently attend each other's oral defense and take notes so their friend can concentrate on the feedback he or she receives. Group members often become lifetime friends who creatively celebrate each other successes even beyond the dissertation years. They have great times together, laugh and sharing the joys and sorrows of dissertations. Some groups stay together until the last person graduates, having faithfully attended each other's graduation ceremony and party.” (pg. 64-65)

Reference: Roberts, C. M. (2010). The dissertation journey : a practical and comprehensive guide to planning, writing, and defending your dissertation (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press.
Joel-Administrator
Joel-Administrator
Admin

http://www.lighspeaksphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum